Wednesday 11 November 2009

Remembrance Day

It's the anniversary of my Grandad's death today. We always go up to the crematorium to look at his name which is in the remembrance book and lay some flowers for him and my nan. I cried this year. I never cry. Something just triggered my emotions this time and I miss my nan. I never knew my Grandad. He would have been 101 this year if he'd have lived but he died when he was 53. A long time before I was born. I still feel close to him though, because he's my Dad's dad. If I'd have had a son, his name would have been Joseph, after my Grandad.

I often wonder what Grandad would think of the world if he came back today. Mobile phones, the internet, microwaves, digital cameras, Wii, Skype... the list goes on. How weird that I've been able to sit at my computer in the UK and talk to my cousin in New Zealand via my computer. I can see him and hear him, and he's half way around the world! We really do live in exciting times.

It's also Remembrance day. This passage sort of sums up how I feel about today. My cousin has served in Afghanistan and I'm very aware of all the people who are fighting for a better world, and all of those who have lost their lives in the pursuit of it, including 3 of my Grandad's brothers...

'It's the Military, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It's the Military, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It's the Military, not the politicians that ensures our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It's the Military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag.




If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the military, pray for our men and women who have served and are currently serving our country and pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.'



We had our 2 minutes silence today too. It's important to acknowledge all the people who have lost their lives and loves for us to be able to live as we do today.

In Flanders Fields


by John McCrae, May 1915
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


I'm so lucky. I feel blessed that I get a Poppy day, every day. :) Rest in peace, Joe and Hannah xx





N x

No comments: